With the English language being used by many different countries there are some slight variations on the spelling of words. Practise might look like a typo for American English speakers but it is actually the common practice in British English, Canadian English, and Australian English that’s also used in New Zealand. They use practise as the verb and practice as the noun. In the American spelling, we use practice for both the verb and the noun form of the word.
What Is the Definition of the Noun Practice?
There are several different meanings of the word practice:
- habitual or customary performance; operation:
- office practice.
- habit; custom:
- It is not the practice here for men to wear long hair.
- repeated performance or systematic exercise for the purpose of acquiring skill or proficiency:
- Practice makes perfect.
- condition arrived at by experience or exercise:
- She refused to play the piano, because she was out of practice.
- the action or process of performing or doing something:
- to put a scheme into practice; the shameful practices of a blackmailer.
- the exercise or pursuit of a profession or occupation, especially law or medicine:
- She plans to set up practice in her hometown.
- the business of a professional person:
- The doctor wanted his daughter to take over his practice when he retired.
- Law. the established method of conducting legal proceedings.
- to perform or do habitually or usually:
- to practice a strict regimen.
- to follow or observe habitually or customarily:
- to practice one’s religion.
- to exercise or pursue as a profession, art, or occupation:
- to practice law.
- a medical practice or a doctor’s practice
- to perform or do repeatedly in order to acquire skill or proficiency:
- to practice the violin.
- to train or drill (a person, animal, etc.) in something in order to give proficiency.
- to do something habitually or as a practice.
- to pursue a profession, especially law or medicine.
- to exercise oneself by repeated performance in order to acquire skill:
- to practice at shooting.
Etymology of the Word Practice
You can trace the origin of the word practice back to the year 1375. In late Middle English it was spelled “practisen”. Back further you can find it in Medieval Latin “prāctizāre”.
Examples of the Word Practise in Context
- University professors, stout majors, rising early in the morning, hire boys and practise back-handers and half-volleys.
- IDLE IDEAS IN 1905|JEROME K. JEROME
- We have now in practise over 2,000 lawyers and a corresponding number of doctors.
- MASTERPIECES OF NEGRO ELOQUENCE|VARIOUS
- Students should practise them so as to become familiar with the relations between weight and volume.
- A TEXTBOOK OF ASSAYING: FOR THE USE OF THOSE CONNECTED WITH MINES.|CORNELIUS BERINGER AND JOHN JACOB BERINGER
- What skill did she not practise, what devices of taste not display, to cover over the hard features of their stern poverty!
- DAVENPORT DUNN, VOLUME 1 (OF 2)|CHARLES JAMES LEVER
- The tactical lessons conned in his tent would vanish in a sort of stage-fright when he tried to practise them in public.
- MILITARY REMINISCENCES OF THE CIVIL WAR V1|JACOB DOLSON COX
Example Sentences of the Word Practice in Context
- On the other hand, if global emissions drop, deforestation decreases, and better fire management practices are applied locally, fires may not increase as much.
- WHAT WILDFIRES IN BRAZIL, SIBERIA, AND THE US WEST HAVE IN COMMON|LILI PIKE|SEPTEMBER 17, 2020|VOX
- The only thing we receive are updates related to the Patrick Henry cheer program along with practice information that are signed by Patrick Henry Head Cheer Coach Jill Clark.
- SCHOOL SPORTS BECAME ‘CLUBS’ AMID THE PANDEMIC – NOW TWO COACHES ARE OUT|ASHLY MCGLONE|SEPTEMBER 17, 2020|VOICE OF SAN DIEGO
- As confusing as the TikTok tie-up with Oracle may seem, there are precedents to the practice of having a “trusted” local partner manage parts of your business—look no further than China.
- WANT TO UNDERSTAND THE ORACLE-TIKTOK DEAL? JUST LOOK AT APPLE IN CHINA|JANE LI|SEPTEMBER 17, 2020|QUARTZ
- The organization also did not respond when asked if it had investigated or planned to investigate potential racial disparities in discharge practices.
- THE HOSPITAL SYSTEM SENT PATIENTS WITH CORONAVIRUS HOME TO DIE. LOUISIANA LEGISLATORS ARE DEMANDING AN INVESTIGATION.|BY ANNIE WALDMAN AND JOSHUA KAPLAN|SEPTEMBER 14, 2020|PROPUBLICA
- Hardly any states followed the practices that had worked well elsewhere.
- AMERICA IS ABOUT TO LOSE ITS 200,000TH LIFE TO CORONAVIRUS. HOW MANY MORE HAVE TO DIE?|BY STEPHEN ENGELBERG|SEPTEMBER 14, 2020|PROPUBLICA
- As a means of preventing tooth decay in those cities that do fluoridate, the practice certainly looks like a success.
- ANTI-FLUORIDERS ARE THE OG ANTI-VAXXERS|MICHAEL SCHULSON|JULY 27, 2016|DAILY BEAST
- The men use the dolls to practice the basics of caring for babies.
- HOW GOOD DADS CAN CHANGE THE WORLD|GARY BARKER, PHD, MICHAEL KAUFMAN|JANUARY 6, 2015|DAILY BEAST
- DeCrow would come to lead a movement against this practice, suing the Hotel Syracuse in 1969 and calling for protests and sit-ins.
- THE BARS THAT MADE AMERICA GREAT|NINA STROCHLIC|DECEMBER 28, 2014|DAILY BEAST
- The WHO has agreed to meet with Yang and a number of Chinese NGOs to discuss a broader ruling on the practice.
- CHINA’S ELECTROSHOCK GAY-CONVERSION CASE|NINA STROCHLIC|DECEMBER 19, 2014|DAILY BEAST
- This story was used by some third-century North African Christians to justify the practice of women performing baptisms.
- FIRST ANGLICAN WOMAN BISHOP A RETURN TO CHRISTIAN ROOTS|CANDIDA MOSS|DECEMBER 18, 2014|DAILY BEAST
- The Gods, in short belong to the region of belief, while morality belongs to that of practice.
- THE NECESSITY OF ATHEISM|DR. D.M. BROOKS
- All attempt at concealment implies some practice of the opposite, or undivine science, founded on nescience.
- UNTO THIS LAST AND OTHER ESSAYS ON POLITICAL ECONOMY|JOHN RUSKIN
- “You must have had practice, you took that so perfectly,” said Elnora.
- A GIRL OF THE LIMBERLOST|GENE STRATTON PORTER
- When we examine it closely, we find that in many respects it is the exact reverse of our practice.
- THE BOOKLOVER AND HIS BOOKS|HARRY LYMAN KOOPMAN
- Neefe did not, as was said of Beethoven’s father, punish the little boy severely to keep him at his practice, hour after hour.
- BEETHOVEN|THOMAS TAPPER
You now know the differences between the commonly confused words practise and practice when it comes to UK English and US English. You should have also taken away some useful information and trivia about the origin of the word and some other facts that will help you out with English grammar.