What does CFM stand for when used in a variety of different fields and contexts? Keep reading to learn all about the meaning of CFM.
CFM is an acronym with many potential meanings. This article will cover not only the most common meaning of the abbreviation CFM but also many other potential definitions. So, keep reading to learn all about the various definitions of CFM!
What Does CFM Stand For?
According to Your Dictionary and Collins Dictionary, CFM stands for cubic feet per minute. This term refers to a measurement of the volume of airflow, gas flow, or liquid flow. CFM refers to the volume of air that flows in or out of some space.
For example, range hoods usually move 1000 cubic feet of air per minute. A blower and certain air compressors might have a different CFM rating. Calculating CFM can depend on room size, flow rate, and more. You can multiply the cross-sectional duct area by the flow velocity, represented in feet per minute to calculate CFM.
What Are Other Meanings of CFM?
CFM has numerous definitions besides cubic feet per minute. Depending on the context, CFM can have hundreds of meanings! The Free Dictionary lists many of these potential CFM meanings below. See how many you are familiar with and how many are new to you!
When using an abbreviation or acronym, it is important to give proper context so that someone can decipher what you mean. If you are unsure what someone means by a certain acronym, you can always ask them to clarify. Be forgiving and patient when someone asks you for clarification, as well!
Meanings of CFM in Technology
If you work in technology, you might see the abbreviation CFM stand for one of the below meanings. Have you ever used one of the below meanings of CFM?
- Code Fragment Manager
- Configuration File Manager
- Connectivity Fault Management
- Customer Form
- Cold Fusion Mark-Up (file extension)
- Compact Flash Memory Card
- Cold Fusion Template
- Cell Fault Model
- Configuration Flash Memory
- Compact Flash Memory
- Computer Facilities Management (various locations)
- Computer für Menschen Gmbh (German company for scanner drivers and software)
- Cisco Fabric Manager
- Constellation Figure of Merit (a measure of energy efficiency)
- Configuration Management (software)
- Control Flow Model
- Customer Feedback Management
- Corel Font Master
- Custom Function Module (software)
Meanings of CFM in Science
Scientists in a variety of fields can use CFM to stand for various scientific terms. If you are a scientist, you might see one of these in daily life!
- Cumbria Frequency Modulation (radio station)
- Computational Fluid Mechanics
- Connection Flow Monitor (Halliburton)
- Cardiovascular Fluid Mechanics
- composite fermion model
- Carbon Footprint Measurement
- Cystic Fibrosis Modifier
- Continuous Fetal Monitoring
- Cleanroom Face Mask
- Cross Flow Microfiltration
- Cerebral Function Monitor
- Controls Finalization Meeting
- Commercial Fan Motor (European aircraft turbine engine)
- Curve-Fitting Method (mathematics)
- Cathode Follower Mixer
Meanings of CFM in Government
Government and military employees can use the term CFM to stand for one of the below. For example, if you work for the federal, state, or local government or a military branch, you may notice one of these abbreviations for CFM:
- Contractor-Furnished Material
- Certified Fire Marshal
- Construction & Facilities Management (various organizations)
- Contract Funds Management (module)
- Career Field Manager (USAF)
- Contractor Financial Management
- CONUS Freight Management
- Combat Force Module
- Consolidated Facilities Management
- Capita Financial Managers (UK)
- Customer Furnished Material
- Commercial Facilities Management
- Covering Fire Mine(s)
- Central Flow Management (Air Traffic Control)
- Contract Facility Monitoring (US Bureau of Prisons)
- Contingency For Movement
- Combat Flight Maneuvers
- Combat Frequency Manager
Meanings of CFM in Business
Numerous business names or business terms can be abbreviated as CFM. How many of these do you know?
- Cooperative Forest Management
- Corporate Flight Management, Inc. (Smyrna, TN)
- Centre de Formation Moto (French: Motorcycle Training Center)
- Certified Financial Manager
- Conkling Fiskum & Mccormick (public affairs services, Portland, Oregon)
- Citizen Finetech Miyota Co., Ltd. (Japan)
- Corporate Financial Management (course)
- Capital Fund Management (France)
- Continuous Flow Manufacturing
- Conseil Formation Marketing (French business consulting company)
- Convention France Maghreb (French trade show)
- Cross-Functional Management
- Close Fund Management
- Car Fleet Management
- Customer Financial Management
- Certified Farmers’ Market
- Congrès Français de Mécanique (French: French Congress of Mechanics)
- Crimp Force Monitor (wire harness production)
- Confirm (logging abbreviation)
- Crazy Fit Massage (health equipment)
Organizations Abbreviated as CFM
Numerous organizations in the world can be abbreviated as CFM. If you are in one of the below locations or organizations, you might see the abbreviation CFM frequently!
- Coggeshall Farm Museum
- Cavanaugh Flight Museum (Dallas, TX)
- Chicago Federation of Musicians
- Car Forum Misfits
- Christian Federation of Malaysia
- Chicago Freedom Movement (Chicago, IL)
- Club de Futbol Monterrey (Mexico)
- Category for Merging
- Christian Family Movement
- Certified Facilities Manager
- Communications and Multimedia Consumer Forum of Malaysia
- Crown Financial Ministries (Georgia)
- Crossfire Magazine (paintball)
- Conselho Federal de Medicina (Brazil)
- Candidate for Membership (various organizations)
- Children and Family Ministries
- Central Florida Marlins (swim club)
Meanings of CFM as Slang
Finally, a couple of slang terms can be abbreviated using the letters CFM:
- Ceramic Face Mask
- Christian Formation Ministries (Copper Canyon, TX)
Overall, the term CFM stands for cubic feet per minute. This term refers to the volume of air, gas, or liquid that flows in and out of space. CFM also has many other potential definitions in technology, science, business, government, military, and more.
Have you ever seen the term CFM before? What did it stand for?