Have you ever got stuck on the correct past tense of the word slide in English grammar? This article will explain the conjugations of the word slide and also define slide and give you all the information you need about the word.
What Is the Definition of the Word Slide?
The word slide is defined as:
- to move along in continuous contact with a smooth or slippery surface:
- to slide down a snow-covered hill.
- to slip or skid.
- to glide or pass smoothly.
- to slip easily, quietly, or unobtrusively on or as if on a track, channel, or guide rail (usually followed by in, out, away, etc.).
- to pass or fall gradually into a specified state, character, practice, etc.
- to decline or decrease:
- Interest rates are beginning to slide.
- Baseball. (of a base runner) to cast oneself, usually feet first, forward along the ground in the direction of the base being approached, to present less of a target for a baseman attempting to make a tag.
- to cause to slide, slip, or coast, as over a surface or with a smooth, gliding motion.
- to hand, pass along, or slip (something) easily or quietly (usually followed by in, into, etc.):
- to slide a note into someone’s hand.
- an act or instance of sliding.
- a smooth surface for sliding on, especially a type of chute in a playground.
- an object intended to slide.
- a landslide or the like.
- the mass of matter sliding down.
- a single transparency, object, or image for projection in a projector, as a lantern slide.
- Photography. a small positive color transparency mounted for projection on a screen or magnification through a viewer.
- a usually rectangular plate of glass on which objects are placed for microscopic examination.
- Furniture. a shelf sliding into the body of a piece when not in use.
- an embellishment consisting of an upward or downward series of three or more tones, the last of which is the principal tone.
- a portamento.
- a U-shaped section of the tube of an instrument of the trumpet class, as the trombone, that can be pushed in or out to alter the length of the air column and change the pitch.
- a vehicle mounted on runners, for conveying loads, as of grain or wood, especially over a level surface.
- (of a machine or mechanism)
- a moving part working on a track, channel, or guide rails.
- the surface, track, channel, or guide rails on which the part moves.
- any of various chutes used in logging, mining, or materials handling.
- a flat or very low-heeled, backless shoe or slipper that can be slipped on and off the foot easily.
What Is the Past Tense of Slide?
The past tense of slide is slid. This would be used in a sentence like:
Last winter I hurt my ankle when I slid down the snowbank on my sled and fell off at the end.
I didn’t mean to make a mess, I just slid your drink to you too fast.
How Do You Conjugate Slide?
Here are some verb conjugations of the irregular verb slide including the past tense verb forms:
Infinitive: To slide
Past Participle of Slide: Slid
Present Participle/Gerund: Sliding
Past Perfect: Had slid
Present Perfect Tense: Have slid
Past Continuous: Was sliding
|Simple Present Tense||Simple Past Tense||Future Tense|
|I slide||slid||Am sliding|
|You slide||slid||Are sliding|
|Third Person Singular He/she/it slides||slid||Is sliding|
|We slide||slid||Are sliding|
|They slide||slid||Are sliding|
The History and Origin of the Word
The word slide has been used since before 950 A.D. In Middle English it was spelled slides, in Old English it was spelled slidan, and in Middle High German sliten.
Synonyms of Slide
Antonyms include ascend, remain, and rise.
Examples of the Word in Context
- Those opportunities could crystalize over the coming months, particularly as programmatic spending starts to recover from its coronavirus-induced slide.
‘WE’LL GET BRIEFS WE COULDN’T ACCESS BEFORE’: INSIDE CHANNEL 4’S PUSH FOR PROGRAMMATIC ADVERTISERS|SEB JOSEPH|AUGUST 11, 2020|DIGIDAY
- More than just a looming monolith, though, the eccentric construction would have linked Chicago with New York and Boston via slides so the residents of those cities could toboggan to the Windy City for the fair.
THE STORY BEHIND THE EIFFEL TOWER’S FORGOTTEN COMPETITORS|FIONA ZUBLIN|AUGUST 10, 2020|OZY
- The day of the presentation comes, and the e-commerce team gathers around, continuously nodding along with each slide.
HOW TO CRAFT A WINNING SEO PROPOSAL AND AVOID GETTING A SILENT ‘NO’|SPONSORED CONTENT: SEOMONITOR|AUGUST 3, 2020|SEARCH ENGINE LAND
- You can take any blog article and create an infographic, video or slide presentation in order to mix things up.
10 ADVANCED SEO TACTICS TO DRIVE MORE TRAFFIC TO YOUR WEBSITE|CHRISTIAN CARERE|JUNE 8, 2020|SEARCH ENGINE WATCH
- All true enough — but those are just the most visible sites of the innovation chain, the kind of photos you see in IPO slide decks for so-called cutting-edge companies.
HONEY, I GREW THE ECONOMY (EP. 399)|STEPHEN J. DUBNER|DECEMBER 5, 2019|FREAKONOMICS
- Another man, sitting in the playground of a sanatorium, was watching his toddler play on the slide of a jungle gym.
UKRAINE FAMILIES FLEE INTO THE FOREST TO ESCAPE BRUTAL FIGHTING IN SLOVIANSK|YUSUF SAYMAN|JUNE 10, 2014|DAILY BEAST
- Five years later, a millennium of Jewish life in Germany began the slide towards total destruction.
SURVIVED HITLER, RETURNED TO GERMANY|STEVE NORTH|MAY 25, 2014|DAILY BEAST
- I lifted her as high as I could midway up the slide and eased her down with a big, squeaky “wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee.”
WHEN AN ADOPTED CHILD WON’T ATTACH|TINA TRASTER|MAY 2, 2014|DAILY BEAST
- The current had been wearing away the bottom of the slope, making a slide inevitable, said authors Daniel and Lynn Rodgers Miller.
RESCUE EFFORTS WERE DELAYED FOLLOWING DEADLY LANDSLIDE IN WASHINGTON|STACEY SOLIE|MARCH 26, 2014|DAILY BEAST
- For Jeter and/or his team of representatives, that criticism is going to slide away like he was made of pure Teflon.
WHY WE WORSHIP DEREK JETER (EVEN IF HE KINDA SUCKS AT SHORTSTOP)|ROBERT SILVERMAN|FEBRUARY 13, 2014|DAILY BEAST
- She’ll slide into the sand like a baby nestling down into a crib.
BLOW THE MAN DOWN|HOLMAN DAY
- The lens is surrounded by a metal case or lantern, in which is placed the electric lamp upon a slide for focussing.
TORPEDOES AND TORPEDO WARFARE|C. W. SLEEMAN
- And with that idea to guide her, she found the days slide by smoothly.
BIG TIMBER|BERTRAND W. SINCLAIR
- Just as the two officers neared the barn the door was seen to slide on its roller.
UNCLE SAM’S BOYS AS LIEUTENANTS|H. IRVING HANCOCK
- I’d hate to think I could ever get so old I wouldn’t like to slide down banisters.
A HOUSE PARTY WITH THE TUCKER TWINS|NELL SPEED
Next time you need to write the word slide, you will be well prepared for everything you need to know what it is and how to use it efficiently. If you’re trying to learn English, you should feel confident with the different conjugations, the history of the word, and the definition.