If you have ever been curious about the correct past tense of dive was? This article will clear that up plus give you a look into the history of the word, the definition, usage notes, perfect tense, and everything else you could want to learn about the word.
What is the Definition of the Word Dive?
The word dive is defined by merriam-webster as:
The word dive is defined as:
- to plunge into water intentionally and especially headfirst
- to execute a dive
- diving into the pool from the highest platform
- the submarine dived
- to come or drop down precipitously: plunge
- the temperature is diving
- to plunge one’s hand into something
- dived into his pocket
- of an airplane: to descend in a dive
- to plunge into some matter or activity
- she dove into her studies
- to plunge or dash for some place
- diving for cover
- to lunge especially in order to seize something
How do you Conjugate Dive?
In American English the past participle and preterit form is dove, in British English it’s dived.
Here are the other conjugations of the word dive:
|Present Tense||Simple, Past||Future|
|I dive||Dived, dove||Will dive|
|You dive||Dived, dove||Will dive|
|He, she, it dives||Dived, dove||Will dive|
|We dive||Dived, dove||Will dive|
|They dive||Dived, dove||Will dive|
The History and Origin of the Word
The word dive (in the sense of “descend or plunge headfirst into water” can be traced back to the Old English language word dufan. Dufan meant to dive, dunk or sink. This Old English word can actually be traced back to Old Norse dӯfa to dip or Frisian dīvi.
What is the Third Form of Dive?
The third-person singular form of the word dive is dives.
Synonyms for Dive
- Pitch – to fall precipitately or headlong, to have the bow alternately plunge precipitately and rise abruptly
- Plunge – to cause to penetrate or enter quickly and forcibly into something, to thrust or cast oneself into or as if into water
- Sound – intransitive regular verb – to dive down suddenly — used of a fish or whale
Example Sentences With the Word Dive
English Verb Forms
Examples using the verb dive:
- The north american professor dove into speaking about the United States and americanism.
- The children like to nosedive off the boat.
- The competitors will be diving from the highest platform.
- Infinitive amounts of people enjoy diving on the island’s coral reefs.
- I am diving in this water without a wet suit.
- The submarine can dive to 3,000 feet.
- The whale dove down to deeper water.
- The english teacher dove into her lecture to help the children learn english.
Examples using the noun dive:
- She practiced her dives for the competition.
- This will be my first dive on a coral reef.
- She has done dives all around the world.
- The crew of the submarine prepared for a dive.
- The jet rolled into a dive.
Examples of the Word in Context
- The already struggling Regis faced a spring where most of its salons were forced to close to stem the spread of COVID-19, causing revenue to dive 76% during April, May and June and a $73.6 million loss. — Patrick Kennedy, Star Tribune, “Regis salons struggling; customers not returning to pre-COVID routines,” 31 Aug. 2020
- Whether or not the Hulu series — being produced by Kelly Ripa and Mark Consuelos — will dive into that is still unknown. — Rosy Cordero, EW.com, “Mexican Gothic author Silvia Moreno-Garcia shares what fans can expect from Hulu limited series,” 24 Aug. 2020
- As brands like Audi, Cadillac, GMC, Ford and Volkswagen dive into the market for 100% electric vehicles, Toyota instead continues to refine and improve the hybrid technology that powered its massive sales surge in the early 2000s. — Mark Phelan, Detroit Free Press, “Toyota snubs electric vehicle trend with plug-in hybrid 2021 RAV4 Prime, but will it work?,” 20 Aug. 2020
- So let’s dive into the pros and cons of the core features, stems vs. beans. — Jacob Krol, CNN Underscored, “Which true wireless earbuds are the best? AirPods Pro vs Galaxy Buds Live,” 13 Aug. 2020
- Tuberville does not dive into policy positions on Social Security or Medicare on his campaign’s website. — al, “Doug Jones calls out Tuberville for Medicare, SSI stance while clashing with PAC over economy,” 12 Aug. 2020
- Pen15’s sophomore chapter will dive into some dark themes, the starring duo revealed, while staying true to its signature absurdity and humor. — Erica Gonzales, Harper’s BAZAAR, “Pen15 Season 2 Will Arrive Just in Time for Back-to-School Season,” 8 Aug. 2020
- Rainy day funds would quickly evaporate; sales, personal and corporate income tax revenues would dive; Medicaid spending would explode, all leading to budget cuts, tax hikes and the desperate need for federal assistance. — Naomi Schalit, The Conversation, “Will the GOP let Congress send money to states and cities reeling from the pandemic? 4 essential reads on the economic crisis,” 5 Aug. 2020
- On Alcatraz, the fearless predators, who can dive after prey at speeds up to 200 mph, seem to be making few friends with other island species, according to the National Park Service. — Steve Rubenstein, SFChronicle.com, “Peregrine falcons swoop into Alcatraz, and here come the chicks,” 31 July 2020
Next time you need to write the word dive, you will be well prepared for everything you need to know what it is and how to use it efficiently. You should feel confident with the different conjugations, the history of the word, and the definition.