Do you know the definition of TBH? This article will provide you with all of the information you need on the abbreviation TBH, including its definition, usage, and more!
What does the abbreviation TBH stand for?
According to Cyber Definitions, the abbreviation TBH stands for to be honest. These internet slang words are used frequently on social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, and precede a blunt statement, sometimes an insult. This is similar to the terms JBH, which stands for just being honest, TBBH, which stands for to be brutally honest, TBTH, which means to be totally honest, and LBH, which stands for let’s be honest, per McAfee. This can be used at the beginning of a sentence or the end of a sentence, and rarely in the middle of a sentence. This online slang began in the late 90s and early 2000s as a part of text message culture and has a feeling of frankness to it. Per Panda Security, the first Urban Dictionary entry for TBH was added in the early 2000s by the original poster.
The acronym TBH is extremely casual and should never be used in formal or professional settings. Save this internet slang term for casual text-based conversations with friends via SMS text message, on social media, or over instant messenger. This term should not be used in professional emails or communication, or formal letters.
According to The Free Dictionary, the acronym TBH can stand for much more than just to be honest. This acronym has a plethora of other different meanings. These other definitions are still valid, but they are less common than to be honest and should be used sparingly. If you do decide to use one of these alternate definitions, make sure that you provide the reader or listener with the proper context so that they can infer the correct meaning.
- To Be Hated
- The Brownsville Herald (Brownsville, TX)
- Tracey Brunstrom and Hammond Group (Australia)
- Thomas Barnardo House (orphanage in Nairobi, Kenya)
- Total-Body Hyperthermia
- The Brooklyn Hospital Center (New York)
- The Bellingham Herald (newspaper)
- The Big House (Michigan Wolverines)
- Tyramine Beta Hydroxylase
- The Bloody Heathens (band)
- Team Bavarian-Heaven eV (gaming group)
- Tyne Bridge Harriers (running club; UK)
- The Billable Hour
- Tirkkonen-Boariu-Hottinen (modulation scheme)
- The Black Hand (online gaming guilds, band)
- Total Body Hug
- Text Back Hun (texting slang)
- Teddy Bear Hospital (project)
- The Big Heavy (Boston, Massachusetts band)
- Test Bench Harness
- TheBeeHouse (computer website)
- Temple Beth Hillel
- Tribe of Ben Hur (fraternal organization)
- The Boarding House
- Toroidal Black Hole (astrophysics)
- Train Back Home (band)
- The Black Hawks
- Top Bar Hive (bee hives)
- The Brother Hood (gaming clan)
- Texas Bowhunter (online forum)
- Tablas, Philippines (Airport Code)
- Technical Basis for Harmonized Conformance
- The Back Horn (band)
- Tight Binding Hamiltonian (physics)
- That Blasted Hound (California band)
- The Bounty Hunters (gaming)
- The BossHoss (band)
- Tampon Béton Hydraulique (French: Concrete Hydraulic Buffer; France)
- To Be Hired
- The Best Husband
- Techos Bien Hechos (Spanish: Ceilings Well Done)
- Temple Beth Haverim (Agoura Hills, CA)
What are synonyms and antonyms for TBH?
There are many different words and phrases that one can use in place of the acronym TBH. Knowing synonyms for shorthand and slang terms is very useful because these casual phrases are not always appropriate to use in formal or professional settings. Knowing synonyms that are the full form of words is useful to expand your vocabulary for use in situations where a slang phrase is not appropriate. This list of synonyms for TBH is provided by Thesaurus.
- dead level
- dead on
- on the line
- without reserve
- on the level
- from the hip
- in truth
- laid on the line
- as a matter of fact
- with all due respect
- as actual fact
There are also numerous different words that mean the opposite of TBH. These opposite words are called antonyms. The below list of antonyms for TBH is also provided by Thesaurus.
How can TBH be used in a sentence?
TBH can be used in many different ways on internet forums, social media posts, a question-answer app, or SMS conversations. Below are several examples of TBH.
Teenager: TBH, I hate that you monitor devices. I know you think I talk to strangers on the family PC and my mobile devices, but I don’t. The parental controls make me feel like a baby.
Parent: I understand that, but they’re put in place so you don’t get put in physical danger. I trust you, I don’t trust strange men on the internet.
Here, a teenager and parent honestly discuss the parental controls.
Senior 1: The high school freshmen in our band class have no taste TBH. It might be a controversial topic, but it makes me cringe when I see their Instagram story stickers.
Senior 2: Yeah, like I know some of them are friends of friends of mine, but IMHO they need to learn a lesson about how to make a first impression. BTW, I heard one of the freshman girls refer to you as her ‘senior BFF.’ The trumpet player.
Senior 1: Ugh, no!
Overall, the acronym TBH means to be honest. This is an internet slang term used before a blunt or frank statement.
- TBH – What does TBH stand for? | The Free Dictionary
- FRANKLY Synonyms: 22 Synonyms & Antonyms for FRANKLY | Thesaurus
- DISHONEST Synonyms: 66 Synonyms & Antonyms for DISHONEST | Thesaurus
- TBH (To Be Honest) and More Slang Parents Should Know | McAfee.
- TBH | What Does TBH Mean? | Cyber Definitions
- TBH Meaning + Online Slang Parents Should Know | Panda Security