Interested in learning the meaning of moon sign? Read on to get the celestial scoop on moon signs, horoscopes, and more.
If you dabble in astrology or have an interest in horoscopes, you’ve likely come across the term moon sign — but what does it mean? We’ll tell you.
In this article, we’ll provide you with everything you need to know about the word “moon sign” to help you understand its meaning and use in the English language.
What Is the Definition of Moon Sign?
In your birth chart, the three primary planetary points that outline your everyday personality are your sun, moon, and rising signs. Just about everyone these days are familiar with their sun sign, but when it comes to their moon sign, things start to get a little hazy.
In astrology, your moon sign is the sign of the zodiac where the moon was at your moment of birth. It’s the soul of your identity and indicates what kind of person you are on the inside and how you emotionally react to the world around you.
In other words, it represents your emotional side, feelings, intuition, and memories.
Often described as your “mushy center” or “inner child,” your moon sign also dictates your relationship with the maternal influences in your life and how you nurture and care for others.
How Is Your Moon Sign Calculated?
As with most astrological calculations, you’ll need to know the exact time of your birth in order to calculate your moon sign.
To ensure that you’re calculating your moon sign correctly, you may want to consider digging out your old birth certificate. It’s of the utmost importance to get this part right, as just a few minutes off the true time could push you into a different sign entirely.
Once you’ve tracked down your exact time of birth, you’ll need to look at your birth chart or use an online moon sign calculator to pinpoint the moon’s location at the time you were born.
Simply enter your information, and voila — you have your moon sign.
What Are the Personality Traits of Each Moon Sign?
Now that you understand what moon sign means, let’s take a look at the personality traits of each zodiac sign:
- Aries Moon — Independent from an early age, Aries moons tend to have a tendency to be fiery and impulsive in the expression of their emotions. In other words, if your moon falls in go-getter fire-sign Aries, you likely wear your heart on your sleeve and are often described as a firecracker.
- Taurus Moon — Ruled by Venus, Taurus moon folk love stability and security. They are reliably steady in any emotional state and can provide grounding, especially in contrast to an emotional water sign.
- Gemini Moon — Pleasant and charming, people with their moon in Gemini are always interesting and generally well-informed. They are the zodiac’s chatterboxes and live for intellectual debate and witty banter.
- Cancer Moon — Often found operating on feelings and memories, Cancer moons tend to feel most comfortable in nostalgia. They are naturally maternal, sensitive to emotions, and highly intuitive.
- Leo Moon — Often described as confident with a strong sense of self, Lunar Leos are caring people with big hearts who like to show off their affection in lavish ways.
- Virgo Moon — Those born under the Virgo Moon are likely to be service-oriented, practical, and analytical. They are also often described as being compassionate, patient, and fair-minded.
- Libra Moon — The sign of partnerships and balance, Libra moons generally make doting and loving partners. They tend to seek balance in all areas of their personal life and are quite communitive in their emotions.
- Scorpio Moon — Sensitive, passionate, and brooding, Scorpio moons are loyal souls who often wear a poker face to the outside world in an effort to hide their true feelings — which can run deep. Only when a Scorpio Mmoon trusts you will they let you into their heart.
- Sagittarius Moon — Free-spirited and curious, Sagittarius moons have a deep and emotional desire for adventure. They take great pride in their individuality and enjoy growing through traveling, learning, religion, and spirituality.
- Capricorn Moon — Rational to a fault, Capricorn moons are more reserved in expressing their inner feelings. That said, they are emotionally very sensitive and will feel especially responsible for the moods and welfare of those around them.
- Aquarius Moon — A trailblazer by nature, the airy Aquarius moon finds comfort in exploring and independence. They can be emotionally aloof at times and tend to thrive best when surrounded by people who are strong and secure.
- Pisces Moon — Those with this moon placement are creative souls who feel things deeply in their core. They are intuitive, extremely spiritual, and perhaps even a bit psychic! Like all water signs, Pisces are highly attuned to their emotions and have killer instincts.
A Final Word
The moon is one of the most important planets to take into consideration when using astrology as a tool for self-discovery.
While your sun sign rules your personality and your rising sign rules your outer appearance, your moon sign rules your emotional core.
In other words, your moon sign reveals your inner self!