If you have ever needed to use the plural form of medium and wondered what it is, you have come to the right place. This article will teach you what the singular noun medium is, the plural noun, the history and origin, synonyms, and examples of the word in context.
What Is the Definition of Medium?
The word medium is defined in an English dictionary as:
- something in a middle position
- these t-shirts are all medium size, or people of a medium height
- a middle condition or degree: MEAN
- look for a happy medium.
- a means of effecting or conveying something: such as
- a substance regarded as the means of transmission (see TRANSMISSIONsense 1) of a force or effect
- air is the medium that conveys sound
- a surrounding or enveloping substance
- the tenuous material (such as gas and dust) in space that exists outside large agglomerations (see AGGLOMERATION sense 2) of matter (such as stars)
- interstellar medium
– intermediate in quantity, quality, position, size, or degree
The word medium has a plethora of meanings. It can be used to describe the position, size, or condition of something and has even been used in catchphrases. It can also be used as a way to relay information or describe matter in space. Since these are easily confused words, it is important you know when and how to use the word medium and make sure it is in the correct word form.
What Is the Plural Form of Medium?
When talking about more than one medium you should use the plural media as a collective noun, but you may also see mediums. Both words are used for different things so here are the definitions of each plural form of a word, and how to use them in a sentence.
- a channel or means of mass communication, information, or entertainment
- compare MASS MEDIUM
– a publication or broadcast that carries advertising — mass communication, mass media, social media, news media, etc.
– a mode of artistic expression or communication
– as his literary medium he has chosen a biographical form- Ernest Newman
- something (such as a magnetic disk) on which information may be stored
- digital audio or video files available for playback or streaming
- … the free video broadcasts can be downloaded to portable media players from a number of popular pod[cast] and vodcast Web sites.— Steve Miller
- Apple’s current keyboards can use the function keys … for alternate functions such as controlling volume, screen brightness, media playback …— Dan Frakes
- GO-BETWEEN, INTERMEDIARY
- the medium of introduction was no doubt … the publisher — Richard Garnett
- an individual held to be a channel of communication between the earthly world and a world of spirits, fortunetellers
- material or technical means of artistic expression (such as paint and canvas, sculptural stone, or literary or musical form)
- a condition or environment in which something may function or flourish
- Ocean fish live in a medium of salt water.
The History and Origin of the Word
The singular form of medium dates back to the 1580s when it was taken from the Latin word medium, meaning the middle, center, interval. The adjective Latin form of medium was medhyo, meaning middle.
As the centuries went on, the word medium took on new meanings. In 1590 its new meaning was, “intervening substance through which a force or quality is conveyed.” In the 1600s it was used as a channel of communication. In 1795 it became known as a print publication which has since then grown to mean the modern-day word media that we are all so familiar with. In 1865 the word was used to describe the environment. The 1800s also brought a spiritual sense to the word, meaning someone who conveys spiritual messages.
In the adjective form of the word, in the 1700s it was used to mean intermediate and then in 1931, it was used to describe steak temperature.
Synonyms of Medium From a Thesaurus
- Golden Mean- the medium between extremes : MODERATION
- Mean- something intervening or intermediate
- Middle- : equally distant from the extremes : MEDIAL, CENTRAL
- the middle house in the row
- being at neither extreme : INTERMEDIATE
- Middle Ground- : a standpoint or area midway between extreme or opposing positions, options, or objectives
- Midpoint- a point at or near the center or middle
- Average- a single value (such as a mean, mode, or median) that summarizes or represents the general significance of a set of unequal values
- Intermediate- being or occurring at the middle place, stage, or degree or between extremes
- of or relating to an intermediate school
- an intermediate curriculum
- Midsize- of intermediate size
- a midsize car
Example Sentences of the Word in Context
- Yet, officers also appeared to block the sidewalk and grassy medium, stopping the group from advancing.
Jonathan Bullington, The Courier-Journal, “At least 64 arrested during peaceful ‘Good Trouble Tuesday’ march for Breonna Taylor,” 26 Aug. 2020
- Moe, an art major, compared the medium to tramp art out of North Carolina, a folk tradition taking simple objects like cigar boxes and turning them into intricate, incredible pieces.
Jenna Ross, Star Tribune, “Minnesota crop artists grow creative amid the pandemic,” 25 Aug. 2020
- Nor does the medium have a monopoly on creative marketing.
Mac Schwerin, The Atlantic, “The Dying Art Form of the TV Commercial,” 24 Aug. 2020
- The cutbacks are already squeezing some smaller and medium-sized commodity traders.
Jack Farchy, Bloomberg.com, “Europe’s Banks Fall Out of Love With Commodity Traders,” 22 Aug. 2020
- But what intrigued him about the medium was its place among the most powerful and influential sectors of the economy.
oregonlive, “Retiring Jefferson High teacher watched 3 decades of change in his Portland school, community,” 22 Aug. 2020
- Dark cherries, plums, a hint of earthy mushrooms and a faint whiff of distant smoke on a cool night — this medium-bodied red wine is an ideal partner for grilled meats, hearty salads or vegetarian dishes.
Dave Mcintyre, Washington Post, “Quench your late-summer thirst with these 3 refreshing, bright rosés,” 21 Aug. 2020
The English language can be a tricky thing since it is a compilation of many other languages. Finding the correct plural forms of words is an important step to becoming well educated. Now you are an expert on all things regarding medium.