Here is a brief explanation of how to use life and the plural form of the word in the English language. Let’s go over the meaning of the word life, its plural form, the history and origin of the word, synonyms, and examples of the word used in a sentence. Thanks to this English grammar lesson, Next time you go to use the word life along with other plural nouns, you will be an expert.
What Is the Definition of the Word Life?
Some different meanings of the singular form of the noun life:
- the quality that distinguishes a vital and functional being from a dead body
- a principle or force that is considered to underlie the distinctive quality of animate beings
- an organismic state characterized by capacity for metabolism, growth, reaction to stimuli, and reproduction
- the sequence of physical and mental experiences that make up the existence of an individual
- children … are the joy of our lives — Agnes S. Turnbull
- one or more aspects of the process of living
- sex life of the frog, family life at home
- spiritual existence transcending physical death
- his craving … for the release into the life to come — Rodney Gilbert
- the period from birth to death
- a specific phase of earthly existence
- adult life
- the period from an event until death
- a judge appointed for life
- a sentence of imprisonment for the remainder of a convict’s life
- a way or manner of living
- the life of the colonists
- The fishing village drew its life from the sea.
- a state of living
- specifically: person
- many lives were lost in the disaster
- an animating and shaping force or principle
- the life of the constitution … has been not logic but experience — F. A. Ogg & Harold Zink
- spirit, animation
- saw no life in her dancing
- the form or pattern of something existing in a particular place
- painted from still life
- the period of duration, usefulness, or popularity of something
- the expected life of the batteries
- the period of existence (as of a subatomic particle)
- a property (such as resilience or elasticity) of an inanimate substance or object resembling the animate quality of a living being
- living beings (as of a particular kind or environment)
- forest life
- human activities
- animate activity and movement
- stirrings of life
- the activities of a given sphere, area, or time
- the political life of the country
- one providing interest and vigor
- life of the party
- an opportunity for continued viability
- gave the patient a new life
- something resembling animate life
- a grant saved the project’s life
- of or relating to animate being
- a life member
- using a living model
- a life class
- of, relating to, or provided by life insurance
- a life policy
What Is the Correct Plural of Life
The correct plural form is lives. Although lives is typically used as a third-person singular verb, it is the same spelling when you are using it as the plural form of life. The correct usage does not include any apostrophes.
The History and Origin of the Word
From Middle English – lif. It can be traced back to the 12th century.
Synonyms of the Word Life
Examples of the Word in Context
- The doctor and Liz talked about how there comes a time when a life is unnaturally prolonged.
- — Mark Patinkin, USA TODAY, “COVID-19 took the lives of a working-class father and his son within an hour of each other,” 23 Aug. 2020
- Dixie D’Amelio is taking fans behind the scenes and showing us all what her life as a TikTok celeb is really like in a new web series.
- — Kori Williams, Seventeen, “Dixie D’Ameilo is Starring in LG’s New Video Series “The Journey”,” 23 Aug. 2020
- The beauty of being a player and turning into a coach is your life has been with the other half of people who are rooting against you.
- — Shannon Ryan, chicagotribune.com, “Craig Robinson Q&A: New NABC director shares his vision for college basketball and compares his sister Michelle Obama’s DNC speech to a classic 1970s funk-soul performance.,” 23 Aug. 2020
- His life was an American hero’s journey—and his work is as urgent now as when it was first published.
- — The Economist, “Twentieth-century fox Albert Murray was a bard of America’s racial complexity,” 22 Aug. 2020
- Andrew’s life was that of a lawyer and gentleman farmer who operated a large plantation with slave labor.
- — David Buie, baltimoresun.com/maryland/carroll, “Carroll Yesteryears: Builder of Antrim in Taneytown had long career as lawyer, farmer, politician in Carroll County and Kansas,” 22 Aug. 2020
- Georgescu says his own life is a case study for this acclimation.
- — Anton L. Delgado, The Arizona Republic, “Phoenix will feel the heat at extreme levels more often in the coming years, study says,” 21 Aug. 2020
- Someday, somebody is going to make a really good TV show that beautifully encapsulates what life is like during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
- — Scott D. Pierce, The Salt Lake Tribune, “Scott D. Pierce: ‘Love in the Time of Corona’ is not what you want to watch during a pandemic,” 21 Aug. 2020
- For the families of victims killed in unsolved murders, life has been at a standstill for a long time, even before the pandemic arrived.
- — Amber Hunt, The Enquirer, “Backstory: Joey LaBute’s death still a mystery 4 years after he disappeared from celebration,” 21 Aug. 2020
Now you are an expert on all things related to the word life. Next time you need to write about life, you will be well prepared for everything you need to know what it is and how to do it efficiently.