Here is a brief explanation of how to use the word emphasis and the plural form of the word in the English Language. Let’s go over the meaning of the word emphasis, its plural form, the history and origin of the word, synonyms, examples of the word used in a sentence, and more information. Next time you go to use the word emphasis you will be an expert.
What Is the Definition of Emphasis?
The word emphasis means:
- force or intensity of expression that gives impressiveness or special attention to something
- a particular phonetic prominence or forcefulness given in reading or speaking to one or more words or syllables and consonants
- special importance of or stress or insistence on something
What Is the Plural Form of Emphasis?
The plural noun of the noun emphasis is emphases. There is no other acceptable English plural form for the word. This follows the standard rule in English of changing the is to es to make a word plural — for example, different emphases.
Examples of Emphatic Sentences
The emphatic form is made using the auxiliary verb do with the base form of the verb.
“I don’t owe you any money.”
“No, according to the terms of our agreement, you do owe me money.”
“She doesn’t study very hard.”
“I disagree — she does study hard.”
You can use the emphatic form in the following tenses:
Past emphatic: “I did send him the package.”
Present emphatic: “I do enjoy a good burger.”
Future emphatic: “I will follow up with her today.”
You can also use adverbs as emphasizers:
“She literally stopped in the middle of the road.”
“I really think you’re overreacting.”
<h3>The History and Origin of the Word</h3>
Originally from Greek, then to the Latin language, emphainein which meant to indicate. The first time that we can see the word being used was in 1534.
Synonyms of the Word Emphasis From a Thesaurus
- Accent – an effort in speech to stress one syllable over adjacent syllables
- Accentuation – to make (something) more prominent or noticeable
- Stress – constraining force or influence, intensity of utterance given to a speech sound, syllable, or word producing relative loudness
- Underscoring – to draw a line under, to make evident, to provide (action on film) with accompanying music
- Weight – the amount that a thing weighs, a quantity or thing weighting a fixed and usually specified amount, overpowering force
Example Sentences of the Word in Context
- Vales, the Cork company treasurer, testified on behalf of the business with an emphasis on customer service and using technology such as an app to make shopping easier. — David Anderson, baltimoresun.com, “License denied for proposed 9,400-square-foot liquor store in Bel Air; board cites impact on other stores,” 27 Aug. 2020
- Udoka began his coaching career under Gregg Popovich in San Antonio before moving to Philadelphia to work under Brett Brown as an assistant with a emphasis on defense. — J. Michael, The Indianapolis Star, “Nine possibilities to replace Nate McMillan as the Pacers coach,” 26 Aug. 2020 – With an emphasis on starting the second half strong, Connecticut locked in defensively in the third quarter, limiting New York to only 11 points and scoring 21 to build a 17-point lead by the end of the period. — Alexa Philippou, courant.com, “Led by Alyssa Thomas, Connecticut Sun finish stretch of 10 games in 19 days with 82-65 win over New York Liberty,” 22 Aug. 2020
- To celebrate and support all that fresh-air fun, Toyota is introducing the 2021 Tacoma Trail Special Edition with an emphasis on extra storage, convenience and unique styling. — Houston Chronicle, “Tacoma rolls out special editions for 2021 model year,” 21 Aug. 2020
- WonderWorks, commonly known for its upside-down-looking building on I-Drive, features hands-on exhibits with an emphasis on STEM and sparking the imagination. — Dewayne Bevil, orlandosentinel.com, “WonderWorks expands virtual-learning experiences,” 20 Aug. 2020
- Mehta is a sports injury specialist with an emphasis on arthroscopic procedures of the shoulder, knee and hip, cartilage restoration and shoulder replacement, a news release on the Castle Connolly honor said. — chicagotribune.com, “Elgin News Digest: Kane County holding rabies vaccination clinic; ESO schedules online gala and auction; Mehta named ‘top doctor’,” 17 Aug. 2020
- One of the scientists at Swiss Camp in the 1990s was Abdalati, who took a graduate course in climatology from Dr. Steffen and switched his PhD studies from aerospace engineering to geography, with an emphasis on the Arctic climate. — Matt Schudel, Washington Post, “Konrad Steffen, renowned Swiss climate scientist, dies at 68,” 12 Aug. 2020
- Students wore costumes that portrayed stereotypical images of people living in ghettoes, with the emphasis on Blacks. — Gary Robbins, San Diego Union-Tribune, “Black students pressure UC San Diego to expand their tiny presence on campus,” 8 Aug. 2020
- Parents question emphasis put on the teaching of religion of Islam in a 7th grade social studies class #Tucker. – NJ parents concerned about Islam emphasis in curriculum – Fox News
- For more than five decades, design company Deltec Homes has built thousands of aerodynamic structures with a round design and an emphasis on strong connections that helps make homes especially resistant to fierce storms. – Round homes and hurricanes: How circular design, emphasis on connections keep these structures standing – Fox News
Now you are an expert on all things related to the word of the day, emphasis. Next time you need to write the word emphasis, you will be well prepared for everything you need to know what it is and how to do it efficiently.