Do you know the definition of TLC? This guide will provide you with all of the info you need on the acronym TLC, including its definition, usage, example sentences, and more!
What does the acronym TLC stand for?
According to Collins Dictionary, TLC means tender loving care If something or someone needs tender loving care, this means that they need solicitous care in order to improve its condition or to make it feel loved. Many things can need a little TLC. A scared animal from a shelter might need TLC in order to feel comfortable, safe, and happy in a new home. A dying plant might need some TLC to come back to life. Overall, people use TLC to mean kindness and attention, particularly for things that need to be healed or fixed.
According to The Free Dictionary, the acronym TLC also has many other definitions, though these are less common. If you plan on using one of these alternate definitions, make sure to provide proper context so that the reader is not confused. Always ensure you are abundantly clear when using acronyms that have multiple definitions.
- The Learning Channel
- Tables & Ladders & Chairs (pro wrestling)
- The Legal Connection (Texas)
- Trivial Loot Code (Everquest game)
- Tol Leadership Council (Minneapolis, MN)
- Trinity Lutheran College
- Three Letter Code
- Total Longterm Care (Denver, CO)
- Tender Loving Canine (Grove City, OH)
- Today’s Lifestyle Church (UK)
- Text Local Coordinates
- The Land Conservancy (various locations)
- Teflon-Coated Needle (syringe)
- Thinking through Literature and Culture (Israel)
- Trimmers Lawn Care (California, KY)
- Taxi & Limousine Commission (New York City)
- Tasty Little Crackers (Kashi Company)
- The Living Church
- The Lost Community (fan site)
- Technology Lighting Center (Seltzer Institute, Inc.)
- Teaching, Learning and Creativity
- Transit for Livable Communities (Saint Paul, MN)
- Teaching. Learning. Community. (Cincinnati, OH)
- The Learning Connexion (New Zealand)
- The Landsburg Company (est. 1984)
- Through-Life Cost (financial management)
- Together Learning and Collaborating (group coaching)
- Technology Learning Center
- Traumatic Loss Coalition (New Jersey)
- Technology Learning Community (various locations)
- Tiny Loving Canines (Simi Valley, CA)
- Therapeutic Learning Center (Kansas City, MO)
- The Last Cigarette (smoking cessation program)
- Therapeutic Lifestyle Change
- Tourism Leadership Council (trade organization)
- The Learning Collective (various locations)
- The Learning Course (various locations)
- The Laser Center (laser vision correction)
- Trilateral Commission
- Triple Level Cell Flash
- Tryon Life Community Farm (Portland, OR)
- The Longstreet Clinic (Georgia)
- Transforming Lives in Crisis
- Time to Lane Crossing
- Texas Lutheran College
- The Leadership Center
- The Literacy Consultancy (UK)
- The Local Connection (various locations)
- The Learning Center (various locations)
- Transportation for Livable Communities
- Tech + Library + Classroom (education)
- Training and Learning Company (UK; est. 2003)
- Technology Life Cycle
- traffic lane cleaner
- Transit Light Curve (astronomy project)
- Trichotillomania Learning Center (Santa Cruz, CA)
- The Life Centre (various organizations)
- Teaching and Learning Curriculum (various locations)
- The Learning Corporation (est. 1995)
- Targeted Learning Corporation
- The Landscape Connection (Flagstaff, AZ)
- Transgender Law Center (San Francisco, CA)
- Tokyu Land Corporation (Japan)
- The Last Crusade (Indiana Jones movie)
- Total Lifestyle Change (various locations)
- Tender Love and Care (song)
- Thomas Lutheran Church (various locations)
- The Literacy Community (various organizations)
- The Latino Coalition (Washington, DC)
- Transamerica Life Canada (est. 1927)
- Time to Line Crossing (driver risk indicator)
- The Library Corporation
- Texas Land & Cattle (restaurant)
- Thermochromic Liquid Crystal
- Tribes Learning Community (California)
- Telephone-Linked Care (Australia)
- Total Land Care (various locations)
- Teaching and Learning Centre (Australia)
- The Learning Connections (Easton, MD)
- Toongabbie Legal Centre (Australia)
- The Leadership Challenge (est. 1983)
- Targeted Lifestyle Communication (New Zealand)
- Texas Lottery Commission (quasi-government body)
- Tiwi Land Council (statutory authority representing Aboriginal Owners of Tiwi Islands)
- Tribeca Lending Corporation (New York, NY)
- The Local Choice (Virginia; health insurance)
- The Travel Channel (TV)
- The Luggage Club (est. 2005)
- Tennessee Livestock Center (Murfreesboro, TN)
- Trial Lawyers College (Laramie, WY)
- Touro Law Center
- TACOM (Tank-Automotive and Armaments Command) Learning Center
- Transformative Learning Centre (Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, University of Toronto)
- Total Leisure Concepts (New Zealand)
- Total Lung Capacity
- Top Left Corner
- The Lego Company
- Teacher Leadership Center (various locations)
- Technology Life Careers
- Toyota Land Cruiser
- Total Learning Community (Illinois)
- Total Lymphocyte Count
- Tastes Like Chicken
How can the acronym TLC be used in a sentence?
There are many different contexts in which using the acronym TLC to mean tender loving care is appropriate. This term can be used to describe anything that needs kindness and attention, particularly if it is something that needs to be healed or fixed. In this example, Janelle is an experienced dog owner looking for a new dog at the animal shelter.
Shelter Volunteer: Rocky and Scooter are both super friendly, high energy dogs. If you’re active they would be perfect.
Janelle: Who’s this big guy over here?
Shelter Volunteer: Oh, that’s Grawp. He’s a little… grumpy.
Janelle: How so?
Shelter Volunteer: He was rescued from an abuse situation. He’s never bitten, but he hides in the corner and growls every time we go in there.
Janelle: Sounds like he needs TLC. I’ll take him.
What are synonyms for the phrase TLC?
There are many different words that one can use in place of the term TLC. One might choose to use a synonym, which is a word or phrase with the same definition as another word or phrase, to avoid using an acronym,avoid repeating themselves, or simply to expand their vocabulary. The below list of synonyms for TLC is provided by Thesaurus.
- big rush
- looking after
- tender loving care
Overall, the phrase TLC stands for tender loving care. This phrase is used with regard to a great many things that need work and attention, like a house that is a fixer-upper or a scared dog that needs to come out of its shell. Many people believe that with a little TLC, most things can be improved.